Wednesday, March 20, 2019

'Carmina Burana' - Largely based on eclectic European pre-Christian spiritual folk traditions... and possibly of South Tyrolian origin: Part 4

Codex Buranus

When I first posted on this subject, I had no idea what I was getting into. This is a long-term project for the Neopagan folk-collective. For one example, a Neopagan musical concern could sift further into these works and find something related and--in some sense--become the next Carl Orff by using the poems for a musical piece! I mean, why not? This work is not copyrighted; it's very relevant. Perhaps someone has already done this; I don't know. Of course, I would like to see someone accomplish this who has some true talent and do it from a Neopagan perspective. Orff selected a mere twenty-four works from the Codex Buranus; there are many more works contained within it.

Themes

Generally, the works contained in the Carmina Burana can be arranged into four groups according to theme:

1. 55 songs of morals and mockery (CB 1–55)
2. 131 love songs (CB 56–186)
3. 40 drinking and gaming songs (CB 187–226)
4. Two longer spiritual theater pieces (CB 227 and 228)



The Old Abrahamic Devil

"It's the Devil !"

'Carl Orff’s “Carman Burana”, Is it demonic?'


The New Secular Devil

"It's the Nazis !"

'Secret of the White Rose'


Folk Pagan Origin

"It's the Witches !"

'The Original Sound of the Carmina Burana'

Medieval poetry is filled with images of fate and destiny, reflecting the Christian’s morbid fascination with the terrifying power of an implacable pagan goddess. (regarding 'O Fortuna')






Fortune Plango Vulnera - Carmina Burana

madprofessor

Fortune Plango Vulnera from Carmina Burana - Carl Orff


************


Carl Orff: Fortune Plango Vulnera/en Lyrics

The Latin title of this song is "Fortune Plango Vulnera". The English translation is "I Bemoan the Wounds of Fortune."



I bemoan the wounds of Fortune
with weeping eyes,
for the gifts she made me
she perversely takes away.
It is written in truth,
that she has a fine head of hair,
but, when it comes to seizing an opportunity
she is bald.

On Fortune's throne
I used to sit raised up,
crowned with
the multi-coloured flowers of prosperity;
though I may have flourished
happy and blessed,
now I fall from the peak
deprived of glory.

The wheel of Fortune turns;
I go down, demeaned;
another is raised up;
far too high up
sits the king at the summit -
let him fear ruin!
for under the axis we may read
"Queen Hecuba."


.

No comments:

Post a Comment