Saturday, April 10, 2021

Festa di Tana 2021 - Part 3 - "the beautiful darkness"

"A Romance in Darkness"

From reverse label....

 

Apothic Dark

Red Blend

There's a romance in darkness, it draws our curiosity and beckons a desire to taste the unknown.

Apothic Dark blends dark fruit flavors of blueberry with opullent notes of coffee and dark chocolate for a rich, yet silky smooth, wine experience.

www.apothic.com

Vinted and bottled by Apothic Wines, Modesto, CA


************

 

Apothic (along with related words) have numerous different meanings as they progressed through Greek and Latin to English over the centuries.

 

************

 

How do the words "apothic", "apotheca", and "apothecary" correlate?How do the words "apothic", "apotheca", and "apothecary" correlate?

Tarquin_McBeard (reddit.com)

An "apotheca", in Ancient Greek and Ancient Latin, was a word for a warehouse or repository. As far as I know, this word does not exist in English. In later Latin, the word came to mean a shop or store.

This led to the derived term "apothecarius", meaning shopkeeper. It is from this Latin word that we get the English "apothecary", which had narrowed in meaning to refer specifically to the keeper of a drugstore.

And "Apothic" is apparently a brand name for some kind of wine. This word too is derived from "apotheca", because wine casks were stored in warehouses.

 

************

 

apothic

Beautiful or stunning.

Staring deep into the apothic abyss, I found myself feeling as if there were a woman, somewhere down there that had my heart

by Fuzzy Andrews (UrbanDictionary.com)

 

************

 

Apothic

(Definitions.net)

Epic doom on a biblical scale.

These apothic events led to the end of their civilization.

 

************ 


apothecary

(Merriam-Webster.com)

noun

apoth·​e·​cary | \ ə-ˈpä-thə-ˌker-ē, -ˌke-rē \

plural: apothecaries

 

Definition of apothecary
1 : one who prepares and sells drugs or compounds for medicinal purposes
2 : pharmacy

 

Apothecaries, Bodegas, and Boutiques

Apothecary, bodega, and boutique may not look very similar, but they are all related both in meaning and in origin. Each of these words can be traced back to a Latin word for “storehouse” (apotheca), and each one refers in English to a retail establishment of some sort. Although bodega initially meant “a storehouse for wine,” it now most commonly refers to a grocery store in an urban area, especially one that specializes in Hispanic groceries.

Boutique has also taken on new meanings: its first sense in English (“a small retail store”) is still current, but it now may also denote “a small company that offers highly specialized products or services.” Of the three words, apothecary has changed the least; it has gone from referring solely to the person who sells drugs or medicines to also naming the store where such goods are sold.

 

Examples of apothecary in a Sentence

in olden days the apothecary had few drugs that actually cured anything, most substances being little more than pain relievers the historic village boasts an old-fashioned apothecary that's been there for almost a century and a half

Recent Examples on the Web To go with the Grey Hen's new look, modeled after a New Orleans-style apothecary, the cocktails will be served in brown glass medicine bottles and include ingredients historically thought to cure ailments. — Tirion Morris, The Arizona Republic, "These award-winning Arizona bars now serve takeout cocktails. Here's what's on the menus," 11 July 2020 The right tiny glass bottles, which will make your bathroom look like a chic apothecary, can transform your face better than almost anything, short of a visit to the dermatologist. — Jenny Singer, Glamour, "The Ordinary Peeling Solution Completely Transformed My Skin," 20 May 2020

These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'apothecary.'

 

First Known Use of apothecary

14th century, in the meaning defined at sense 1

History and Etymology for apothecary

Middle English apothecarie, apotecarie, pothecarie, borrowed from Anglo-French & Medieval Latin; Anglo-French apothecaire, ipotecaire, borrowed from Medieval Latin apotēcārius, apothēcārius, going back to Late Latin, "shopkeeper," from Latin apothēca "storeroom, storehouse, repository" (borrowed from Greek apothḗkē, from apothē-, variant stem of apotithénai "to put away, stow away" —from apo- apo- + tithénai "to put, place"— + -kē, noun suffix) + -ārius -ary


************

 

15th century French apothecary


Apothecary (Wikipedia)

Apoth (Wiktionary)

Apoth (Urban Dictinary)

Apotheosis (Wiktionary)

 

*************************

 

Nighthawk

Last night during a late hike along the trails, I finally saw it. A avian which was not an owl, literally flying at night; a hawk no less! It startled me at first, then I just assumed it was an owl; it wasn't. It was clearly a hawk by its outline. There it was, gliding confidently. Occasionally a bird could be disturbed at night and take to flight, while other times birds can make noises at night. No, this was a hawk likely hunting. The trails are filled with little brush rabbits in the darkness, as I also could plainly see last night. So now I know that "nighthawk" isn't just a fancy marketing play.

A night hike always has surprises. Prior to arriving, I saw a large wolf-like coyote; this always will get your attention. I suspect that, although wolves have long been eliminated from California, wolf DNA still lives on in some coyotes. This sight gave me an ominous feeling; would they attack me along the trail? If in a pack, it's always possible. However, I have encountered a half dozen small coyotes with no problem. The coyotes which I have observed in southern San Mateo County and southward appear to be the typical small variety; while I think some have arrived in the area from Marin County to the north... and probably beyond that. It's possible that they could account for the large sized ones. It was quite a sight.

While hiking I saw what at first looked like some type of "orb" floating across the field ahead. It stopped a few times, then kept moving from left to right and eventually crossing the trail. I thought "could this be some type of paranormal thing?" For a split second, I did catch a glimpse of it; it was a raccoon's eyes, mindful of me as it moved. Somehow it seems that there would be a lot less meaning to be out there if there were no animals, no mysteries about. Even the apex predator of the little region, the large coyote spotted earlier, adds just a slight hint of peril. Hypothetically, if the area was fully developed and paved over... the night peril would merely switch over to the more dangerous creature on two legs. The darkness and desolation is humbling.

At another point, I caught a glimpse of an unknown creature. It may have been a weasel with dark fur. I saw an orange and white weasel once some years ago. I suspect that was what is was, hunting for smaller prey (mice, shrews, gophers). There's a mystery to the darkness. Even if I'm not out there, there's a fascination I feel just looking in the direction of the dark canyon and knowing that there's activity out there.... creatures feeding on vegetation... others hunting for meat... a real struggle for life and death for them as we sleep.

At one clearing along the trail, I came around the bend and startled a raccoon. It scurried up one of several nearby trees, then stood on a limb and held onto a branch with one hand and peered down at me. It almost looked like a little ape in the darkness. After feeling some trepidation while making my way through some thick brush in the darkness amid some cracking sounds and sounds of footsteps, the raccoon provided some comic relief. Since raccoons aren't fast runners, it probably felt the better move would be the safety of a tree.

 

************

 

Nightmare archetypes

"Deep into that darkness peering. Long I stood there, wondering... fearing... doubting..." -- Edgar Allan Poe

One of the standard settings for documentaries and footage of evolutionary struggle in animals is, of course, the African savannah. In particular, the brutal struggle between lions and hyenas. Hyenas are not cowards, despite their so-called "cowardly laugh." Their jaws are so powerful that they can break an elephants thigh bone to get at the bone marrow. Lions, especially male lions, are incredible brutes who can devour one hundred pounds of meat in one sitting. They have the eyes of a killer like perhaps no other animal. One interesting side note is that a male lion always dominate the lion pride; for hyenas, a female is always the queen of the pack. To digress, the African savannah at night is extraordinarily barbaric and bloodthirsty.

I have watched literally hundreds of documentaries and videos of the African savannah in my life. The desperate struggle of life there is in my subconscious I suppose; one of those nightmares that linger in man's psyche that we always read quotes about. A couple of nights after the previous account above, I was again hiking that same trail at night when I came upon the clear outline of a coyote's head in a dark grassy field, black against some distant urban lights. As I shined my flashlight at it, the outline remained black... only with eye shine to go with it! I knew it was a coyote, and had to wonder if it could become aggressive. Just after I took the light off from it, it took off running towards the trail. I again shined my flashlight at it, and could see it moving towards the trail behind me about fifty feet away.

I was fairly certain that it wasn't looking to attack me, but I kept my light on it. It seemed to cross over and move up a hillside. Still, the sight of that black head with white eye shine remained with me. Somewhat coincidentally, later that evening I came upon a video from last summer of a mountain lion which has been seen in a residential neighborhood only about four miles from the trails that I usually hike. I couldn't help but think that maybe a mountain lion could wander up there looking for some new hunting ground. The next night I was hiking in a more remote location in the nearby mountains. Actually I didn't intend on being up there in the dark, but it just got dark on me.

While I walked in the darkness, the images of the mountain lion from the video and my own memory of the black coyote head with the eerie white eye shine merged together in my mind with all the footage of carnage I've watched of the African savannah at night. It was indeed dark, and somehow the very real local presence of a mountain lion conjured up a perception of an African lioness, while the eerie image of that coyote conjured up the perception of a hyena. Somehow all of those quotes that we've all read over the years about "the archetypal nightmares that lurk inside man's dark subconscious"--which we never really take seriously while reading them--suddenly became very real to me!

 

 

As I shined my flashlight out into the dark terrain of grass and shrub, I couldn't help but think of all of those hundreds of videos of the merciless African savannah! The very real possibility of a mountain lion being out there because of the news story and video... made it seem altogether real to me. If that mountain lion was audacious enough to walk down the street of a neighborhood, it certainly could have took to these nearby trails. The fear of that real possibility somehow just got attached to all the other stuff.. the brutal savannah at night. I mean.. it looked like the same type of terrain from all of those videos, the same terrain, the same darkness, and almost a similar remoteness.

Those mountain trails are not somewhere that you want to be at night, which is why I stick to the nearby flatland trails if I go at night. However, here I was; about a forty minute walk back to the street where my car was parked. Now I think I have a newfound appreciation for all of those quotes about "man's archetypal nightmares." My mind was playing tricks on me up there, conflating some real possible dangers with my "African savannah nightmare" scenario. All of those dangerous animals: lions, hyenas, African hunting dogs, hippos, crocs, big poisonous snakes, etc... from all of those videos.

It's very dark up there at night, and as I walked through the blackness of the groves of trees for the last twenty minutes, the uneasy feelings only got worse. Also, I have run across several very strange people on trails over the years in broad daylight, and recalling all of those true crime programs on ID... all of those brutal crimes. Even the dangers of African animals could remind one of the horrific chimpanzee attacks on people in recent years. All one's fears come out in the darkness and desolation. Still, I can't help but think of the walk I took in a much more tame wooded trail a couple of weeks before during the little early spring heat wave we had; the warmth, the stillness, the hoot of an owl above, the howl of a coyote in the far distance, the full moon shining through the tree tops onto the trail... beautiful.


*************************

 


 

Your mind is fooled

Roam in your flight

Your sight is blurred

Embrace your might

-- Poem from a Satanist whom I encountered online


*************************


The woman with the hypnotic eyes

I believe that I mentioned this story once on here. It occurred at a time when I was having some type of powerful spiritual awakening. For weeks, every day seemed to bring more and more complex synchronicities. Some of it so unbelievable that I chose not to divulge it. There's just no way to review the events without it sounding crazy. However, I can tell at least this much.

One night I was driving nearby where I live; on the other side of the mountain... so to speak. I recall that it was just after twilight, with a little glimpse of the orange sky at one point far in the distance. The residential street was quiet, no traffic, and it was located nearby the mountains here; the peaks visible in the near distance. As I slowed for a stop sign, a somewhat unusual looking woman came into focus along the sidewalk. She was looking right at me. I don't recall if she was walking or not. She seemed to be late thirties to early forties, had somewhere between long and shoulder length dark hair, probably brown or hazel eyes which looked dark at least in the night, attractive without being beautiful, Mediterranean in appearance, maybe 5'6" to 5'7", wearing darker clothing with some type of cape dress, and last but not least... prominent, hypnotic eyes; the kind've eyes that don't blink!

There was so much energy in those eyes, and she was clearly looking at me, there was no ifs, ans, or buts about it! I found myself looking back into her eyes. They just drew me in. I wanted so badly to just keep looking, to feel the surge of energy, to unlock the mystery of her. Who was she? Why was she looking at me? What is she really like? What's her program? Far from an "energy vampire," she was emitting energy, if anything! The stop sign was another fifteen feet away, and if I just drove up to it I would have passed her. I slowed down slightly, still looking into her eyes. I had full control, I think. The energy from her hypnotic-like stare was more powerful than any feelings of silliness which I may have otherwise felt.

What could I have said? What if I had stopped and pressed the button to roll down the window next to her? Would she have said something? Would she be surprised, angry, calm? Somehow I kind've doubt she would be afraid. Did she have a message for me? Did she pick up something from me, such as a connection of some sort, or energetic recognition? Was she even real? Could I have just stated flatly what I was thinking? She seemed to have walked out from one of the residences, and there's really just no way that she could have been seeking some guy, etc. It wasn't that type of neighborhood at all.

I wish I had stopped and took a chance, rather than just wonder about it. I could have said hello, could have introduced myself, or could have complimented her. Would she have thought I was impressive, brave, silly, stupid? Maybe it wasn't about "getting with her" at all; maybe she had a program. In other words, maybe there was a mystery that had nothing to do with either formal or base sort've things. She couldn't have just been another woman. There had to be something else to it. It was probably a chance worth taking.

 

"It's judgement that defeats us." -- Col. Kurtz

 

************ 


It's kind've like the old story about a flood. A massive flood was engulfing a rural town once. A good Christian man proclaimed that he was going to leave the fate of his family with God! As the water was rising, a policeman drove up and offered to drive them to safety. "Thank you, but no. We're going to have faith in the Lord!" As the water reached the house, a recuse team arrived on a boat and offered to ride them to safety. "No, thank you. We're going to stick it out and have trust in God!" As the water was rising and rising, the family had to take refuge on the roof top. A rescue helicopter came by, and they shouted into a loud speaker, offering to fly the family to safety. "No, we're going to put ALL of our trust in the LORD!!" the man yelled back.

As the story goes, the family all perished in the flood. The man was infuriated as he stormed to the Gates of Heaven. "God, why did you allow us to perish!? We put all of our trust in you, and you let us down!" God then looked at him and said: "What are you talking about? I sent you a car, a boat, a helicopter...."

 

************

 

I've experiences some surreal or paranormal events in my life, but I never shared the experience with anyone else. Again, given the synchronicities which I had been experiencing, I suspect that there was something more to this experience. I may have felt that I was in control, it's hard to say for certain. She had something for me; maybe it was good, maybe not. She wasn't an ordinary person. For some reason, I'm thinking of a line from the film 'Heaven Can Wait', in which the angel-figure "Mr. Jordan" tries to bring the obstinate protagonist out've his fog:

"Joe, come here. I want you to look at me and listen very carefully to what I'm saying. This is not a dream. Life has a certain quality all its own; a certain feeling, and so do dreams. You know that this is not life, and you know now that this is not a dream. This is a place that comes after life, and after dreams."

I suppose I should add that in my perception relative to this event, it would mean aside from life or dreams. I should have at least received the message which she had for me. Sometimes your name is called....


*************************

 

 


"I am a forest, and a night of dark trees: but he who is not afraid of my darkness, will find banks full of roses under my cypresses."

-- Friedrich Nietzsche





*************************




Bananarama - Venus (Lyrics)

Audioandlyrics

Artist: Bananarama
Song: Venus
Album: True Confessions
Year: 1986

Photo: https://unsplash.com/photos/3guBQuEqvYM​

~I don't own the song
enjoy!

Copyright Email: Audioandlyrics543@gmail.com



************


"Venus: The Roman goddess of beauty and love." -- Bow to the Muffins

Bananarama - Venus (Official Video)


.

No comments:

Post a Comment